Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:34:49 +0200
From:      kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
To:        jhs@freebsd.org (Julian H. Stacey)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, serious@freebsd.org, commercial@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

Julian H. Stacey writes:
> I plan to soon sell a 3rd party commercial binary FreeBSD product.
>
> I either need to :
> - Develop alone, hooks for such things as
> 	- constructing machine IDs (from poking around the system)
> 	- user count (for single workstation or multi user server pricing)
> 	- link crippled-write, time limited, demo versions
> 	- make must be minimal hastle to authors, requiring no change to
> 	- sources, just to Link flags
> 	- non availability to me (as distributor) of source,
> 	  but availability of .o files
> - Or I can maybe develop a mechanism with other interested commercial sellers,
>   so that FreeBSD would have some generic mechanism, & maybe unique
>   product & system keys.
>
> - Or I can even buy in such a solution if one's available ?

FlexLM is one answer.

> I've read `Sun Expert' in the past, with horror stories of Sun lock managers
> across nets, & I am not interested in any net strategies,
> this will be local to the box.

licensing is the most common cuse of customer frustration :-)

> I'm not into academic elegant lots-of-effort solutions,
> I'm after a cheap dirty quick solution, I don't want to spend much

For the purpose you need it ;-) I'd recommend binding your program
to the ethernet address. Your customer wouldn't change their ethernet
interface in years.

I did that for 386bsd a while ago. I wrote a function 'getether.c'
upon which I built a licensing key via crypt(). If you rewrite that function
to FreeBSD-current (kvm_open interface has changed a bit)
I'll give it to you :-). Ask me in private mail.