Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:43:40 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>, Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>, "'Andrew Reilly'" <areilly@bigpond.net.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 127/8 continued

> From: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
> Date: 24 Sep 2001 13:00:58 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org> writes:
>
> > RFC 1122, "Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Communication Layers"
> > provides guidance for the interpretation of any address within
> > 127/8 -- it says such addresses are for use as "internal host loopback
> > addresses". RFC 1122 is STD 3, an Official Internet Protocol Standard,
> > and hence is worth complying with.
>
> Are IANA/IETF/Internet standards EVER applicable to what goes on inside
> our computers?   Or just to the data crossing our Internet interfaces?
> (Not rhetorical - I'm wondering.)

No. This is explicitly stated in an early RFC (although I have no idea
which one any more). If it does not leave a system, no standard RFC is
relevant. That is one reason that the handling of 127/8 is limited to
the statement that it should not appear as a destination of any packet
leaving the system.

So I guess the issue of responding to 127.1.1.1 is not a standards
issue. It's an implementation detail and Linux is as correct as
Solaris which is as correct as any other.

But letting a packet to a 127/8 address leave the system is clearly
wrong and Joe's PR will fix it nicely.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)