Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 14:03:49 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Chris Byrnes <chris@jeah.net>
Cc:        Jonathan Slivko <js43064n@stmail.pace.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Whats the difference between -STABLE & -RELEASE?

--==_Exmh_-770955792P

If memory serves me right, Chris Byrnes wrote:
> > Hello all, > Sorry for sounding like a newbie, but whats the
> > difference between FreeBSD -RELEASE & FreeBSD -STABLE? From what I
> > understand, the source tree is a little more conservative in what it
> > lets through. Am I correct in assuming that? -- Jonathan M. Slivko
>
> -RELEASE is just that, the first official release.  -STABLE includes all
> the bug fixes and..stable code, for the most part.

To rephrase this:  -STABLE is one of the development tracks (for
example, 4-STABLE).  The different -RELEASEs are points along a stable
development track after which some testing and quality assurance has
been done.

The term "4.2-STABLE" refers to the state of FreeBSD 4-STABLE at some
time after 4.2-RELEASE, but it doesn't necessary pinpoint any
particular snapshot.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-770955792P

--==_Exmh_-770955792P--