Date:      Sat, 05 Jan 2002 21:34:03 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Lord Raiden" <raiden23@netzero.net>
Subject:   Re: Interesting user question

On Fri, 04 Jan 2002 14:06:38 -0500, Lord Raiden wrote:

>	Ok, here's a question that just stumps me.  I know how to do this to some
>degree, but not in the way that the user wants.  Ok, here's the gist.  User
>came to me today and asked for a way that he could use his MSwindows box
>(running 98se) to remotely shut down each of his BSD boxes when his 98
>shuts down.
>
>	That I thought was easy.  But here's the catch.  It can't call for the BSD
>boxes to shut down EXCEPT when he's actually shutting down for the
>night.  Not during normal mid-day reboots, or shutdowns.  Only when he
>shuts down at 5pm and powers down his workstations for the night and only
>when shutting down his win98se machine.  Any ideas on this?  Right now he
>does all 4 by hand, but would like something that doesn't require him to
>have to do this all the time.  Any ideas?
>	Personally I think it's silly, but it's got my curiosity, so I'm asking.  :)

silly yes..  I don't think windows has any kinda of scheduling like
that.  you could just make a cron event that runs shutdown -h now at 5
o'clock.  or, you could have a shutdown command issued,  because you
can specify the shutdown time...  look at the man shutdown.  other than
that, i'd say he is out of luck.

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB