Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:08:19 -0700
From:      "Jesse Wilson" <noname2796@yahoo.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VERY stupid n00b thing to do

Well here's my dumb newbie mistake.

I desperately needed to compile disk quota support into my server in a
hurry so I went to the manual and read through real quick, went to the
/sys dir where the kernels are and saw two kernels, generic, the one
that was installed, and lint, the one that already had quota support
turned on.

So I made, compiled, installed, and rebooted with the LINT kernel.

The worst part is that this server is at a colo facility and I'm hoping
that I can get the support crew there to reboot the server to kernel.old
but it's been an hour with a completely dead server and no response, and
it's 10 at night so who knows if they even have anyone there right now,
even though they say that they have 24x7 support.

If there happens to be anyone else out there, who like me, didn't know
what the LINT kernel is, it's a non working kernel that apparently has
every single option turned on or something.

I guess that I should have googled for "lint kernel" before I tried
installing it. :-/

Jesse