Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 1996 15:12:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      tim@print.gfmurray.com
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firewall/gateway/proxy question

>I'm looking for suggestions on what to run to do this.
>
>I have one computer that connects to my ISP (NetBSD-current), with a
>single, fixed IP#.  I have two other machines (one Windows NT, and one
>FreeBSD/NetBSD/hacking/test machine) behind it, which I would like to
>gateway through it.  However, with only this single IP# to the outside
>world.
>
>I think that means I need to run some kind of firewall and/or proxy
>server.  I don't think socks will be sufficient, since it doesn't
>transparently proxy my NT box, through the NetBSD gateway, to the
>world.

What protocols do you want to be able to gate through to the Internet?  If
its only FTP and HTTP, then It is EASY with 'cached' from the Harvest
collection...I suggest that this be tried first...before you get into any
spooky ip mapping......

>I've never paid much attention to this before, so I'm not sure where
>to start looking.  Suggestions?

>  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
>        --<  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x  >--
>    NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, Atari 68k, HP300, Sun3,
>        Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX, MVME68k, arm32...
>    NetBSD ports in progress: PICA, others...

Tim Baird

Dominus Fecit
"The Lord Made"

Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer etc. etc