Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:33:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Art Neilson, WH7N" <art@pilikia.hi.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive: 1

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Art Neilson, WH7N wrote:

> I've been running 3.4-Stable for a while now and finally updated my
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf from /usr/src/etc/defaults/rc.conf.  I noticed
> the new sysctl toggles in the conf file, and was wondering what this one
> in particular did?  I thought keepalive packets were for systems connected
> up to providers who whould time them out if they had no activity for x
> length of time.  The comment here seems to indicate it is for cleanup
> of dead connections.  Can someone enlighten me or point me to relevant doc?
>
> tcp_keepalive="YES"     # Kill dead TCP connections (or NO).

TCP keepalives and PPP keepalives are different things. The former is for
detecting and killing dead connections where the other end silently
rebooted or dropped off the network, the latter is to defeat the idle
timeout of an ISP (a 'PPP keepalive' can usually be any traffic sent over
the modem, like a ping once a minute to an outside address).

Kris

----