Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:40:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        e8917523@linf.unb.br
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux 96: ATAPI support

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> > From: Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
> > Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 13:14:05 -0700 (PDT)
> > Subject: FreeBSD vs. Linux 96 (my impressions)
> >
> > 4) Supports arbitrary PC hardware better.  As of FreeBSD 2.1.5, the boot
> > floppy _still_ doesn't recognize my IDE CD-ROM (which I've reinstalled
>
> Funny thing you mention that. Since my own IDE CD-ROM wasn't working up
> to last week, I have taken special interest in anything related to IDE
> on FreeBSD's lists I subscribe to (and Usenet newsgroup).

Before I get any more mail on this, I should point out that my IDE CD-ROM
(a Mitsumi FX-400A) works great when I compiled a custom kernel for
2.1.0-RELEASE or above, but for some reason doesn't probe when I boot from
the BOOT FLOPPY.  This is an important distinction because it means I
can use the CD-ROM drive for everything _except_ installing FreeBSD from
it!  Now that my curiosity is peaked, I'll try some of the later
2.2-current SNAP boot disks to see if that fixes anything.  If not, I'll
be sure to dig in and do some more research on this.

-- Jake