Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 07:41:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/sys reboot.h src/sys/i386/i386 autoconf.c

According to Mike Smith:
> > Also, on my other machine I have a SCSI disk for freebsd, and a IDE disk
> > for Win95. Computer boots from the ide, and then I use booteasy there to
> > boot from the SCSI disk. The SCSI disk is not "dangerously dedicated",
> > but it's just one big BSD slice. So... will I need "sd0s1a" on that,
> > or just "sd0a"?
>
> The changes I have made *only* affect the boot device.  The remainder
> of the "compatability slice" implementation remains.
>
> Note, however, that when you move to DEVFS, there will not be any sd0[a-h]
> nodes *in* /dev/, so you wouldn't be able to mount them even if you
> wanted to.

Ok, let's see if I got this right. :-)

* Only the boot device is affected. ( even when boot != FreeBSD root )
* Above point is only effective until you start using DEVFS.
* Dedicated disks ARE affected by this change.
* "Dangerously dedicated" disks are NOT affected by this change.

How many right? :-)

  /Mikael