Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 19:22:09 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To:        Matt Baker <matt@junior.portal.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Matt Baker wrote:

> > I have a 486Dx2-66, 16mb RAM with 3 ISA Ne2000's as our main gateway box.
> > Currently it handles around 450kbytes/s on each interface at peak times,
> > I *also* on top of that run gated with iBGP sessions and an OSPF mesh
> > for internal routing, I think with the full AS1221 route map (about 5000
> > routes, describing where Australia is), about 350 routes for the local
> > peering traffic, and another 50 for the OSPF mesh.. its handling it
> > quite nicely :)
> >
> > Now, if a FreeBSD machine can do *that* with 6000 ip route lines, I
> > think its doing pretty good.

Our principle interface router at the LINX in London is carrying 45,500
routes, handles over 30 external BGP4 peers and around 10 internal BGP4
peers, and runs OSPF as well.  The peak traffic I have seen through it
was roughly 10 Mbps through one interface, 20 Mbps through a second,
and 30 Mbps through a third.  It coped very nicely.

The machine is a P120 on a T2P4 motherboard with 64 MB of memory.  It's
usually about 90% idle.

The only time we have seen this machine overloaded was when all of
UUnet's Cascade switches went mad a few weeks ago, causing massive
route flapping all over the Internet.

> I really don't have any problem with using FreeBSD boxes as main routers,
> but we've got the 2501, so I might as well use it if possible.

If you are only carrying 6,000 routes or so, then the 2501 is good for
looking at the routing table.  IOS is definitely better than gated for
this purpose.  You BGP4-peer the Cisco and your gated router(s).  You
can also use its serial ports to handle sub-T1 customers.

If you try to look at the full routing tables with a 2501 these days,
it just reboots continuously.

--
Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015