Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:11:48 +0400
From:      Alex Kapranoff <kapr@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What is 'checksum offload'?

Good day,

I'm in the process of translation release notes and have trouble
understanding and thus interpreting the term 'checksum offload' which is
a feature of nge(4) and lge(4) drivers. Does it mean that the
controllers are able to compute TCP/IP checksums in hardware thus taking
off load from CPU? Don't hesitate to tell me I'm stupid and this has
nothing to do with TCP/IP :)

Oh, and what's a jumbogram?

Can someone clarify this with one or two sentences to a man with a
negligible Ethernet knowledge?

Thanks!

--
Alex Kapranoff,                              Voice: +7(0832)791845
We've lived 5457 hours in the brand new millenium...