Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:02:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Erez Zadok <ezk@cs.columbia.edu>
To:        Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, ion@cs.columbia.edu
Subject:   Re: Autofs on FreeBSD

In message <00102610391007.17987@snoopy.fan.fa.disney.com>, Jim Pirzyk writes:
> Terry Lambert said that I shoudl contact this list about
> any work on AutoFS, so here is my orignal message to
> freebsd-hackers.

If anyone is going to do work on autofs for FreeBSD, keep it in this list
(or let me know which list to go on).  I've used different versions of
autofs on different systems with and without Amd.  I have many comments on
how to get it right the first time, so you won't have to do two iterations
like Sun, or three like Linux.

> Our biggest problem with amd is the use of sym links instead
> of mounts in place.  Is there anyone working on a mount
> in place automounter?  What about the autofs code that
> was removed from amd?

What autofs code was removed from amd?  I don't know of any which was either
added or removed for FreeBSD (not on my official distribution).

Currently, am-utils fully supports autofs on Linux, and partially on
Solaris.  We're planning on completing the Solaris support for autofs in the
coming months.

> We move data around every week and we need the users
> to see the map name and not the mount name (ie.
> /data/ada18 instead of /tmp_mnt/aj/bay_l0g2).  The
> data next week may be on /tmp_mnt/oilspot/january_b1g1
> instead.
>
> Not only does 'at' have this problem but so does csh & tcsh.

There are some partial solutions: check am-utils's pawd program and
"amq -w".

> Thanks
>
> - JimP

Erez.