Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:55:17 +0800 (SGT)
From:      Chan Tur Wei <twchan@singnet.com.sg>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Still getting "Checksum mismatch" etc.

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, John Polstra wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
> From: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
> To: stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> Cc: juha@saarinen.org
> Subject: Re: Still getting "Checksum mismatch" etc.
>
> In article <Pine.LNX.4.33.0106261415010.1338-100000@vimfuego.saarinen.org=
>,
> Juha Saarinen  <juha@saarinen.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, John Polstra wrote:
> >
> > > Good.  When it says it will send the whole file, that should clear
> > > up any kind of problem.  Note, however, that these fixups happen at
> > > the very end of the cvsup run.  If you kill it before it finishes,
> > > you'll get the same thing on the next run.
> >
> > Ahh... at the very end, you say? I wonder if this is due to the
> > jakarta-tomcat thing? Noticed that 'make update' would bomb out because=
 it
> > couldn't delete that Port of Infamy ;-)
>
> Yep, that would explain it.  That jakarta-tomcat thing is going to
> be the death of me. :-(
>
> The "checksum mismatch ..." message is a "should not happen" kind of
> scenario.  It only happens if (a) somebody manually dinked around with
> the repository files [this case], or (b) somebody manually dinked
> around with the local files in a very devious way without changing
> the timestamp, or (c) some internal CVSup error happened.  I am not
> aware of any occurrances of (c) for several years.  Anyway, by the
> time it detects the checksum mismatch, the best it can do is make a
> note to fix things up at the end.  If you kill it (or it dies) before
> then, the offending file will be unchanged on your machine (i.e., your
> original version before the update run) and the checksum mismatch will
> happen again next time.
>
> John
> --
>   John Polstra                                               jdp@polstra.=
com
>   John D. Polstra & Co., Inc.                        Seattle, Washington =
USA
>   "Disappointment is a good sign of basic intelligence."  -- Ch=F6gyam Tr=
ungpa

Hi,

In my previous cvsup run, on June 20, I had loads of those "checksum
mismatch" errors; most of which had to do with some pam stuff.  The
system built and ran, though.  Unfortunately I'd zapped the cvsup log;
so I don't have exactly which were the files.  I don't remember which
server I cvsup'ed from... I think it was cvsup10.freebsd.org or so.  A
new cvsup today (June 26) from cvsup2.freebsd.org had no more of those
errors, so I suppose things are right again.

Regards

  -T.W.Chan-