Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:23:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG

> Why disk? I would expect there to be hardly any disk activity, assuming
> you're not swapping.

I was expecting spooling up all the mail... I know qmail is quite disk
intensive... from monitoring that list, most people using it are also
using quite large RAID arrays, because it increases the amount of spindles
you have for it...

> Thanks for the suggestion -- several people have pointed me towards
> postfix so I'll definitely be taking a look at it.

Would never have known about it myself either unless a friend pointed it
out.  From the time of downloading it, it took me no more that an hour to
compile and install it to the point of delivering its first piece of mail
(and most of that time was spent compiling on a 486/66!).  It was _very_
nicely documented, and very logical.

If you want to find out more, http://www.postfix.org

> Ah -- I don't expect to be doing any local deliveries, maybe that was the
> disk factor you were counting in?
>
> I'll be be reusing a machinwe we have now which is a PII 333, with 256M
> RAM and a 9gig 7200rpm HD or building a new one which would be an AMD K6-2
> 400 with 256M RAM and a 9gig IDE drive (probably two, actually, for
> software raid redundancy).

Yeah... thought you were mainly doing local deliveries...

As for hardware, what you are suggesting there is honestly probably a
little overkill, but it is better to err on the 'too much' side rather
than run into problems and have to rebuild... I'd say reuse what you've
got, don't bother spending money on another machine... I'd rather spend
the money on a high end drive like a cheetah (10,000 RPM) and reuse the
CPU/memory.  I'm gonna create another holy war here, but SCSI is always
better than IDE in my opinion.

Just my $.02 worth... ;)

-Gary