Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:38:41 -0200
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>, Alexandre Sunny Kovalenko <gaijin.k@gmail.com>, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, martinko <gamato@users.sf.net>
Subject:   Re: Short SMART check causes disk op timeouts

On Monday 27 October 2008 20:03:21 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> I had no idea users were blindly uncommenting examples in

well seems you're new in support business then :)

the issue might be the reason why weapons are not delivered with roles in t=
he=20
chambers ... so developers probably should take care of what kind of exampl=
e=20
they include=20

> smartd.conf.sample without reading what the features do. =A0Then again, I
> guess many users/admins have no idea what sort of impact offline tests
> could have on a system. =A0Short/long tests should not have any effect on
> a running/used disk -- and most do not see any effect -- but under high
> I/O I would assume there is a chance the suspend/resume aspect of SMART
> tests could take longer than 5 seconds. =A0Though I am disappointed in
> the fact that people often schedule "maintenance things" all at the same
> time (between 0200 and 0500) but never think about the implications of
> them all running in parallel.

well good idea to start a faq with general orientations :)

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o