Date:      Sun, 18 Sep 2011 08:53:32 -0500
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        "Thomas Mueller <mueller6727"@bellsouth.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.0 beta2 & the new bsdinstaller

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 4:55 AM,  <"Thomas Mueller
<mueller6727"@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Some more ideas on the new bsdinstaller cross my mind.
>
> Since the way the bsdinstaller would make partitions is unpredictable, at=
 least to the uninitiated, and in all likelihood at variance with how much =
space the user wants to allocate, it might be better to offer a roadmap to =
help guide the user to allocating space for FreeBSD using gpart or Rod Smit=
h's gdisk.

> Also, I can't see the function of the 64 KB boot partition with no file s=
ystem, which does not boot for me, though I can boot the main partition usi=
ng grub2 from the System Rescue CD (http://sysresccd.org/).

> Another concern is updating to the next beta (BETA3?) without trashing th=
e installed application software (from ports). =A0So far, bsdinstaller hasn=
't offered any possibility of upgrading an existing installation. =A0I don'=
t think a user wants to rebuild all ports for every new beta or release can=
didate.

This also concerns me.  I wanted to ask, if one updates 9.0-BETA 2
through ports, if it was the same as a possible BETA-3?  and the big
question, if updating, does one have to build all the ports?  or when
one updates BETA-2, do we really have BETA-3 already?

What I would question, is that the choices are offered, but one has to
use (+) or (-) keys instead of the up arrow/down arrow to select the
packages.  When I installed it on an amd64 bit machine, I wanted to
select src/ and kernel + base, but I did not know how to change, later
I found out that + or - keys would change the selections, I pressed
enter and then I could not go back to previous screen.  With
sysinstall I knew how to go back and forth between the screens, but
with bsdinstall it is completely revamped.

> Tom

Regards,

Antonio