Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:24:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@apfel.de>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, meganm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new look

On 18 Jun 1997, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> Well, it was more than a layout change. We changed the viewpoint, from
> a Unix hacker view who know what he are looking for to a FreeBSD
> beginners or someone who never used FreeBSD (Windows/Linux
> users).

Yes, it is a big change in viewpoint.  But my point was that it
came about only through changes in presentation of content that
was already there. Likewise, two pieces of software with
identical functionality can differ dramatically in usability
merely by changes in interface.

> IMHO a good change, but what does the
>
> <FONT FACE="ARIAL,HELVETICA">
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> mean in index.html?

A hideous corruption of HTML brought to you by our friends at
Microsoft. The addition of hacks like this have seriously
retarded the devopment of stylsheets which directly address web
developers complaints about lack of control in a way that is FAR
more flexible than invented tags or attributes could provide.
Meanwhile, MS and NS have convinced the masses that hack jobs
like <font face="..."> are the solution.

The web used to be about sharing of information irrespective of
computer systems used in the sharing.  Doing that demands data
standards first, then applications that work with that standard.
Much of the software industry operates in the
reverse--standardize on an application and then mash your data to
fit.

SGML's power rests in encouraging markup that can be easily
mapped into different applications.  To do this, it is essential
that there be a clean separation of data markup and application
specific information, in this case formatting instructions.
Stylsheets maintain that clean separation.  Tags such as <FONT>
and <CENTER>, along with blatant misuse of other tags to achive
visual effect, corrupts that distinction and thus corrupts the
data itself, rendering it considerably less useful.

Most of the FreeBSD web pages are machine generated from "real"
SGML sources, so the use of such hideous HTML markup practices
does not reperesent a corruption of the original data.  Those
pages that are hand-crafted HTML do not represent a substantial
data investment, and without style sheets, there really is no
alternative to making the pages look interesting visually.  We
do, however, take care to make sure that markup for one specific
application (eg Netscape) does not adversly affect other
applications.

Oh, and the "ARIAL,HELVETICA" is a suggestion to the browser that
the enclosed text should be renederd using either the Arial
typeface or the Helvetica typeface.

-john