Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 04:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/38816: No man page for BootMgr?

The following reply was made to PR docs/38816; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To: Chris Pepper <pepper@rockefeller.edu>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 03:53:24 -0700 (PDT)

 --- Chris Pepper <pepper@rockefeller.edu> wrote:
 > >Number:         38816
 > >Category:       docs
 > >Synopsis:       No man page for BootMgr?
 > >Arrival-Date:   Sun Jun 02 02:40:14 PDT 2002

 > When installing FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE from CD-ROM, I was offered an option
 > to install BootMgr. I accepted this option, but can't find a man page with
 > 'man -k bootmgr' or 'man -k boot' to describe this program, and how to
 > configure it (if possible). Specifically, I'd like to tag my non-FreeBSD
 > filesystems, so instead of '??', my first partition is identified as
 > "Windows XP" or something more informative.

 I am not sure about this, but I think it is not possible to change the
 '??' to something like 'Windows XP', because of the restrictions of the
 boot sector, although I am not entirely sure.  And I dont think there is
 a need for a manual page for BootMgr as there are no out-of-the-box features
 to tag operating systems like that.  You could try and use some other boot
 manager like Grub or others provided on the FreeBSD Release CD-ROM.

 If this is right, I would be very greatful is the PR can be closed.
 Thanks.

 Hiten.
 hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org