Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:30:08 -0600
From:      nick.dietz@conexant.com
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install program problems.

I have some problems that I want to report, but don't know who to report
them to. The only email address I found that might be applicable is this
one. Please let me know if I should address these bug reports to somebody
else.

I am installing on a fairly unique system. (4.1.1-RELEASE and 3.4-RELEASE)
It is a TEKNOR compactPCI processor card. (Info available upon request.)

I noticed two bugs in the installation program (or somewhere anyway).

First: there are two network cards on this system, but no CDROM.
I tried to do a network install from the first network card, but it failed.
I discovered (using a packet sniffer) that the install program was checking
the first network card for connectivity, and then dutifully sending all of
the ftp requests on the SECOND card!

I had to have both cards plugged in to the hub in order to get the install
to proceed. This was _not_ easy to track down.

Second: (and this might really be a documentation problem). I tried to put
a copy of the CD on an ftp server (running on a windows box). Then I tried
to install from there. It failed, saying it could not find the release. It
seems to look for a directory named 4.1.1-RELEASE (or whatever is set in
the options menu). The documentation says that you can simply mount a cd on
an ftp server and be done with it. It should really spell out how to go
about doing this (in 2.2.1.6.2 of the handbook maybe?). i.e. map the cdrom
drive to a directory with a name that matches the distribution. (?is this
right?)

Also, the installation then fails when it gets to installing the ports
collection, because it is looking for ports.inf, which does not exist on
the CD. (This I see from my ftp log file.)

If I point the install to the ftp.freebsd.org server at this point the
installation can continue, but it sure goes a lot slower over our miserable
internet connection compared to our 100mbit network.

Please let me know who I _should have_ addressed these bug reports to.

Nicholas Dietz
Conexant Systems Inc.
3333 Warrenville Rd., Suite 250
Lisle, IL 60532