Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 13:05:58 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support for Symbios vs. Adaptect SCSI

>>My plan is to write an assembler for the Symbios scripts
>>engine so that the firmware is easier to read, modify, and understand.
>>At that point, I would expect the Symbios parts to be as well
>>supported under FreeBSD as the Adaptec parts.  I don't expect to
>>get around to this until late this summer.
>
>There already exists the SCRIPTS assembler that produces C code structures
>containing the data as preinitialized arrays. I thought I even saw the source
>to it floating around somewhere.  Are you looking to write a better assembler
>or just oblivious of the existing one?

It is the general policy of the project to provide all the tools required
to modify a driver in the standard distribution.  The aic7xxx driver, for
instance, provides the assembler that I wrote for its RISC engine.  If
the source is available for NASM (I've only seen the DOS executables)
and it allows for things like chip specific program patching at device
attach time, then that would certainly work.

>I have, in the past, written an assembler for a custom CPU for which I did the
>mask layout and design, and I have been looking for a way to contribute to the
>project (I am a hardware guy with a lot of software under my belt, but I just
>can't seem to wrap my head around the kernel).  Perhaps you could describe
>what exactly you are looking for in an assembler and I could work on it for
>you.

The scripts syntax is somewhat obtuse, but I guess it would suffice.  The
main additional feature I'd want in the assembler is the ability to
easily designate condition portions of the script that can be independently
patched in.  Take a look at the sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.seq and the output
from aicasm in sys/compile/KERNAME/aic7xxx_seq.h for an idea of the
patching capability I'd want.

--
Justin