Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 2020 08:21:46 +0200
From:      Damjan Jovanovic <damjan.jov@gmail.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Removing: bktr(4) Brooktree Video Capture card

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 2:46 AM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I think that the time has come to remove bktr(4) from the tree. This is for
> PCI-only hardware that can't do better than SD capture. For its time
> (~2000) it was a cool card. However, it's no longer relevant to FreeBSD and
> is completely unused as far as I can tell. The bread crumbs in my searches
> end around 2006 in the NYCBUG dmesg database.
>
> Comments?

Among emulated network cards in a VM/emulator, a FreeBSD guest is more
likely to find the NE2000 than the latest 100 Gbps Ethernet card, among
emulated graphics cards, the Voodoo 3dfx (which DOSBox and MAME already
support) instead of the latest NVidia card.

VirtualBox can already emulate a webcam to the guest. I am not sure what
device it emulates, and doubt it uses bktr(4), but my point is, operating
systems are likely to find old "hardware" when running as a guest.

Retrocomputing is also a thing.

Damjan