Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2018 13:43:19 -0500
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        cem@freebsd.org, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PRs are being closed for bogus reasons :-(

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 12:40:12PM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:

> I like the idea of a list that just annouces new bugs but contains no
> other traffic. I sometimes stumble across bugs by accident that I feel
> like are in my wheelhouse or are trivial to fix. An announce-only list
> would probably make a few more of those drop into my lap.
>
> Do you envision people being able to comment/reply/post to the list in
> general? What I'm curious about is the level of non-announce mail
> that's going to be on the list. If it turns into general chit-chat
> about the bugs that are announced, the noise level goes way way up.
> Also, that would encourage discussion related to the bugs which should
> probably happen in bugzilla comments rather than out-of-band mail.

I would hope that follow-up discussion would occur on the actual bug
entries themselves, and interested parties would cc: themselves to
the bug.

> Hmm, something that could reduce the traffic even more would be to send
> out a once-daily mail summarizing the short description lines of all
> bugs entered in the past 24 hours. Maybe that could be done and sent to
> a few appropriate existing lists (one or more of stable@, current@,
> ports@, etc, depending on the metadata in the PRs).

We could call it bug-announce-announce@ ;)
But seriously, that does sound like it would be useful for some
people, and probably even enough so to be worth the effort of
setting it up.

-Ben