Date:      Sat, 05 Jan 2002 22:13:21 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        J.S. <johann@broadpark.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Parts I recommend (formerly "Workstation and server-market")

1/5/2002 5:02:30 PM, Matthew Graybosch
<matthew@starbreaker.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 19:55:36 +0100
>J.S. <johann@broadpark.no> wrote:
>
>> Where do I go for the most reasonable, well-equipped and good-
looking
>> workstations and servers, which are decently compatible with
FreeBSD?
[snip]
>--If you're doing a single Athlon, then you can choose between ABit,
Tyan,
>and DFI motherboards. I've heard that ABit and Tyan are best for
Athlon, but
>the guy I buy parts from swears by DFI (Diamond Flower), and I
haven't had
>any problems with the DFI board I installed 18 months ago. For SMP
using
>Athlon, I think your choices are limited to Tyan boards. Check Tom's
>Hardware for further info.
[snip]

I'd add ASUS, if it's available where you are.

>I'm using a Hercules card based on nVidia's
>GeForce2 MX chipset, for which XFree86 provides 2D acceleration. If
you need
>3D acceleration as well, then you should probably get an ATI card, or
try to
>find a 3Dfx Voodoo card.
[snip]

I believe I read a message on this list saying 3D acceleration is "coming
soon" for NVidia.

>--You'll also need a good ergonomic keyboard. *Equips asbestos
trenchcoat
>and casts NulBlaze* I like the Microsoft Natural keyboard; it makes for
very
>comfortable typing. Also, if you plan on heavy X use, get a good
optical
>mouse. I myself use the MS IntelliMouse Optical, which has 5 buttons
and a
>wheel. If you use it, let me know and I'll tell you how to make X talk to
>it.
[snip]

I'll second the Natural kbd recommendation.  After you've used one for
a while, you'll wonder how you typed all those years with your elbows
held so unnaturally tight to your ribs.

Re mice, I'm very pleased with my Logitech Trackman FX trackball.  It
was recommended by a number of people on another ML I subscribe to
as a preventative/cure for repetitive stress disorders (e.g., carpal tunnel
syndrome).  Since I use a computer during most of my waking hours
and was beginning to feel twinges in my wrist, I decided to try it, and
was very happy I did.

Jud