Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 09:43:27 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Greg Smith" <gregsmith59@hotmail.com>
Cc:        ggm@apnic.net, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DELL Latitude 400 and pccard?

In message <F107dDW6lCPx33E1ioW00000a8c@hotmail.com> "Greg Smith" writes:
: Warner,
:
: It is my understanding that IRQs 0, 1, 2, 8 & 13 are impossible to use
: because they are not wired on the motherboard.  And IRQs 6, 12 & 14 are very
: unlikely to be available.  That leaves IRQs 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 & 15 as
: reasonable candidates on a modern PC [ISA16, VGA, IDE].
:
: Below is a portion of a mini-FAQ on PC resources I have been writing in my
: spare time:
:
: IRQ 00 = System timer
: IRQ 01 = Keyboard
: IRQ 02 = Prog Int controller
: IRQ 03 - Serial Port/Modem/IR (COM2) (COM4)
: IRQ 04 - Serial Port/Modem/IR (COM1) (COM3)
: IRQ 05 - Sound -OR- Parallel Port/Printer (LPT2)
: IRQ 06 = Primary Floppy Controller
: IRQ 07 - Parallel Port/Printer (LPT1)
: IRQ 08 = System clock
: IRQ 09 -
: IRQ 10 -
: IRQ 11 -
: IRQ 12 = PS/2 Mouse
: IRQ 13 = Numeric data processor
: IRQ 14 = Primary IDE Controller
: IRQ 15 - Secondary IDE Controller
:
: Might I humbly suggest that when you print the "Management IRQ" message for
: a non-matching IRQ that you include a warning referring to the specific type
: of device which might be residing on the IRQ you select, since it is
: possible the IRQ appears to be available when it is not.  For example:
:
: Management IRQ 15 assigned due to resource conflict
: Verify IRQ 15 is not in use by Secondary IDE Controller

I won't give the possible conflict, because there are too many
possibilities.  In 4.3-stable, I do check to make sure that you aren't
using an illegal irq as well as checking to make sure that the mgt irq
you requested is the one that you got.

Warner