Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:56:02 +0900
From:      Michael Westbay (Dev) <westbay@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        MR@tandem.milestonerdl.com
Cc:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: jdk 1.4.0 (native) and font problem.

On 2003.1.23, at 10:32  AM, MR@tandem.milestonerdl.com-san wrote:

> In an effort to get Compiere http://www.compiere.org/ up and running
> on FreeBSD, I tried the latest 1.4.0 build of Java.
> [...]
> Instead, for every letter, I see a square little box.   Alas, I don't
> read
> box.  Any ideas on how to have java display text and not boxes?

Boxes are usually cause by not having a particular font.  I get them
often with half-pitch Katana in some Japanese applications.

I'd say that the problem is related to your psfonts*.properties file,
but I can't say just what exactly.  Starting places include:

   Do you have a lot of .ttf files in $JRE_HOME/lib/fonts?
   Do you have a localized psfont.properties file in $JRE_HOME/lib?

Hope this helps.

---
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/