Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:31:45 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@rover.village.org>
To:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc port

In message <199707222019.NAA15356@kithrup.com> Sean Eric Fagan writes:
: Okay, have we decided what the execution evnironment for freebsd/alpha
: will be?  (e.g., a.out, coff, elf, stabs, dwarf, ecoff, etc.)

ELF would be my vote, unless there is a compelling reason to do
something else.  The boot roms want to load an ECOFF image, as far as
I can recall, but that will just be our stage1 loader.  And that is
tied up with the console issues that we may have to deal with at some
point.

: I can make a cross compiler for gcc, gas, and binutils pretty easily,
: I think, if we have a decision.  Assumign anyone wants one :).

I was going to hack the gcc in the tree to support Alpha/ELF (or more
properly alpha-dec-freebsd3.0) configuration.  However, I wasn't sure
about this, due to the as/ld situation.

as/ld/ et al would be much harder because our binutils are ancient.  I
wasn't sure what to do about them.  Should be realitvely easy to add
this support to the latest binutils, however.  I'm nearly positive
they support alpha/elf to some extent.

I think that dux->freebsd cross compiler would be good.  Followed
shortly by a freebsd/i386->freebsd/alpha compiler (so my PPro can be
put to good use :-).

It will likely be quite some time before we have a full tree that will
compile.  Also, there are lots of problems cross compiling the current
FreeBSD tree.  I think Satoshi's patches will help that a *LOT*, but
I'm not positive, since I haven't tried it.  The tree is generally
missing the non-i386 files for many things (libc and libkern come to
mind), so someone will have to dig up something for these routines.

I have an old, slightly out of date "how to build a cross compiler"
for when I was doing Linux/MIPS that can be found off of
http://www.village.org/villagers/imp somewhere.

Now that iron is arriving, is there a plan on how to proceed?

Warner