Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 1995 14:53:56 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans), gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: SVNET Meeting?

>> Only the firmware used by the ahc driver (a single generated .h file).
>
>Which is enough according to the GPL.   :-P
>
>How big is this firmware?
>Can it be poked into the boot in a separate operation?
>That would mean the kernel would have to use the BIOS to read it back,
>wouldn't it?

Oh man.... Hmmm...  The firmware is < 2k.  Its basically an array of
byte values that the driver dumps to the card.  The current setup
is the best setup except that it contaminates the GENERIC kernel
(ie, if someone decides its okay for them to use this driver, it works
without haveing to do anything special on their part except configure
for the controller.)  If you can think of a way for the driver to
read in an additional file during boot, then we can distribute the
firmware separately.
--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1