Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:09:09 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
Cc:        budsz <budsz@kumprang.or.id>, FreeBSD-Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: About *.asc

--LTeJQqWS0MN7I/qa

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 02:29:08PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Friday 21 March 2003 09:20, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > To tell gpg that you trust that this is the key used by the FreeBSD
> > officer:
> >
> > $ gpg --edit-key security-officer@freebsd.org
> >
> > enter 'trust' and then e.g. '4'.
>=20
> Not quite. What you've just told gpg there is that you trust the owner of=
 the=20
> key to have an excellent understanding of key signing, and that his signa=
ture=20
> on a key would be as good as your own.

OK, I didn't know that (evidently).

> The basic expression of trust in pgp is signing / locally signing a key.

So you're saying that I should (at least locally) sign all keys that I
*know* belong to a person?

In other words, since it's obviously impractical to have everyone sign
the FreeBSD security officer's key, I should locally sign it to signify
*my* trust in the fact that that key really belongs to the officer?

I'm just trying to make sure I understand here. Thanks for the clarificatio=
n.

--Stijn

--=20
In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in
the proper order then why can't he?

--LTeJQqWS0MN7I/qa

--LTeJQqWS0MN7I/qa--