Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:34:24 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Old /etc files back, or cvs error?

Warren Block wrote:
> Lately I've installed a couple of test systems from 7.1-RELEASE CDs,
> then csupped to RELENG_7 from cvsup9:
>
> *default host=cvsup9.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/var/db
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7
> *default delete use-rel-suffix

That looks right.

> mergemaster adds a *lot* of old files in /etc that were not there in
> 7.1-RELEASE.  (Remember the rc.d rework?  Like that.)  For example, a
> bunch of bluetooth files and /etc/isdn/*.

That is definitely not the outcome you should have ended up with.

I just checked both the official svn repo and the official cvs repo
and the files they are passing out for the two relevant branches are
correct, and the real differences (not $Id tags) between the files in
the two branches are what I expected to see. Therefore, the problem is
somewhere downstream.

> This looks like an error, but maybe I'm missing something.  And other
> cvsup mirrors seem to agree with cvsup9.

My suggestion to you would be to move all source trees that you may
have currently somewhere else, move aside /var/db/sup, then start over
from scratch and see if what you get is what you expect.

If that doesn't work, please script your mergemaster session and send
us the output.

hope this helps,

Doug