Date:      30 Jan 2002 20:51:21 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KSE milestone 3 reached.

Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:
> The current debug code seems to call psignal to deliver STOP signals in
> order to suspend the process, and the stuff SEF did actually makes teh
> processes call msleep().

There are three different debugging interfaces in the kernel:
ktrace(2), ptrace(2) and procfs(5).  Only procfs(5) (which is used by
truss(1) et al.) uses msleep(9); ptrace(2) (which is POSIX, and is
what gdb(1) uses) uses psignal(9).  The procfs(5) junk is going away
as soon as I've finished my ptrace(2)-based version of truss(1), so
don't worry about it.

> For example: do you want all teh other threads to be suspended, or to be
> running? Do you want the UTS to be suspended as well?

As far as ptrace(2) is concerned, I think I want all threads to be
suspended; ptrace(2) doesn't really support the concept of threads.
Our current version of gdb(1) doesn't support threads either (AFAIK),
and I don't know if (or how) newer versions of gdb(1) do; we'll cross
that bridge when we get there.

> I have not completed this work yet..
> but am wondering if you have any violent arguments about what I'm doing..

Not really.  It just has to work *somehow*, and I don't really have
any opinion on precisely how.  The one request i have is that
debugging single-threaded processes should work the way it used to
(i.e. ptrace(2) should behave the same with single-threaded processes
under KSE as it did pre-KSE)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org