Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:45:45 -0700
From:      PM Lashley <patl@phoenix.volant.org>
To:        Alexey Zakirov <frank@agava.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jail

--On Tuesday, July 17, 2001 23:29:12 +0400 Alexey Zakirov <frank@agava.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, PM Lashley wrote:
>
>> Yes, I have.  Note that my solution still uses xargs to get around the
>> command-line buffer size restrictions.  It just eliminates the 'cat' in
>> favor of redirecting stdin for xargs.
>>
>> 	Yours:	cat FOO | xargs CMD
>> 	Mine:	xargs CMD < FOO
>>
>> It eliminates the unnecessary and unhelpful cat process, it's buffers,
>> the pipe, etc.
>>
>> The construct 'cat ONE-FILE |' can almost always be replaced by a stdin
>
> Sorry but this is doesn't matter for jail solution. No one aware about
> updating jails. I'm make it about 2 times per month but not so care. In
> the real life users most interested in the things like GD perl library not
> the system /usr/sbin/faithd one. :)

It's a matter of cultivating good practices.  (That's why I called it a
'nit' in my first posting.)  In this situation, it doesn't really matter
very much whether there's an extra 'cat' or not.  BUT it is better to
simply cultivate the habit of avoiding such constructs so that you won't
use them where they do matter.  AND the code fragment was being ezplicitly
listed as an example to a less experienced admin.  Examples should -ALWAYS-
use the best practices.  (Unless they are explicitly examples of bad
practices...)

-Pat