Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:21:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
To:        Bootsrapa Limanond <b0l6604@unix.tamu.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Suttipan Limanond <limanond@enws626.eas.asu.edu>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: matlab for linux and freebsd

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Bootsrapa Limanond wrote:

> This sounds great. If you need any help on that, please let me know ...
>
> On the other note, I just received matlab's pricing this morning. The
> MATLAB and SIMULINK's pricing seems like something I can swallow (~$500
> each for
> educational license). But, boy ..., a toolbox is priced at $199 each ...
> (At first,
> I didn't believe my eyes and had to write back to them to confirm).  How
> is it possible that a toolbox which is nothing but a collection
> of M-files cost more than a C compiler?

And Hey, don't forget that's the just the price for the first year!!!  You
have to pay a renewal fee EVERY year...  If you don't then when the
license expires the software dies until you renew (this is what I was
referring to when I mentioned "tyrannical licensing requirements").

Matlab -- the software you lease with an option to... lease again, of
course, what else!

> Did someone mention Scilab and another package? Is there a URL that I can
> get some info on these software?

Both SciLab and Octave are in the ports collection.  They're both quite
nice!  If you can possibly do without Matlab then, please, do yourself a
favor!

> Thank you very much,
>
> Suttipan Limanond.

Tom