Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 95 14:33:25 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks

> > > This will work with IBM's JFS (obviously) or with a log structured
> > > file system, but precious little else.  UFS is particularly badly
> > > suited to doing this.  If you do what SPRITE does and shove all
>
> I beg to disagreee, but the UFS can easily be extended..
> if you have it over a LVM that can give you extra space, then you can
> add additional cylinder groups without too much pain....
> (I believe OSF1 may have this.. I'll have to check my sources)

I recently pointed this out in a news posting on porting the NFS v3
code to BSD 4.3 (which someone wanted), but...

A Logical Volume Manager requires a more strict adherence to
stackability requirements, and the promiscuous knowledge of the
underlying VM system in the current UFS means that it's not strictly
stackable.

Even if you fixed this and the FS had no intrinsic knowledge of
underlying storage interfaces, each cylinder group doesn't get it's
own superblock, so you would be limited to a log boundry for the
superblocks themselves before they could (potentially) collide
with an already allocated block.

You could relocate colliding blocks, but with clustering, if the block
was the first in a cluster, it could get, well, complicated.  8-(.

It is possible with a fairly long duration fsck type operation, and
I suppose that you could argue it predicated on that.  It still would
not solve the multiple points of failure arguments, however.

Note that a tool of this complexity is what would be required currently
to up the number of inodes on a UFS file system without requiring a
backup/mkfs/restore.  Because of this being the only thing required
for such a tool, it is relatively trivial compared to changing a file
system size.  I have yet to see such a tool outside of single use
code in an academic environment.

Going further down this track, I could see where it could be minorly
useful for a news spool, where you really could care less about
corruption destroying the current contents, or for a system where
you religiously backed up your data.

I guess the main point I had is that it would be a kludge without
real file system changes at the same time.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.