Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:14:24 -0600
From:      charon@freethought.org
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speaking of 3.4...

I know this topic is quickly being talked to death, but here's my $0.02 on
the non-technical side:

The high frequency of releases makes users like myself (I use WinNT much of
the time, am not a developer, and don't admin a network) not want to buy
the CD's.  Frighteningly for some of you, FreeBSD users like me are growing
more and more numerous.

I've used FreeBSD since 2.2.2, but first bought the CD's at 3.2.  By the
time I got the CD's, I basically couldn't use the ports collection on them.
 I needed ports that weren't on the CD's, which meant that I had to fetch
them by hand, and by that time many of the ports had changed versions and
required newer versions of ports than were _on_ the CD's.  Also, by the
time I got the CD's there were a lot of changes made to -STABLE, so there
was no incentive to install an old version of the OS.  _And_ XFree86 had a
new version out.

If -RELEASE's exsited on their own, self-consistant, and no one tore apart
anyone for asking a question about an old release on -questions, then I
would buy the CD's.  But in the current system, with frequent releases that
aren't much more than glorified snapshots, there is no incentive for me to
buy the CD's, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone else.

So I guess my (naive) suggestion is that there are less frequent releases
and then we'll have two set of users - RELEASE users and -STABLE users,
with a division much more clear than presently.  This would give FreeBSD
the releases necessary to get users used to Win95/Win98 (notice the 3-year
gap?) interested, but also have the edge-of-development stuff for those who
want it.

Just some thoughts from one of the masses.

-Charon