Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 2021 19:30:16 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: When did pkg(8) drop support for 12-stable?

On 2021-Feb-23, at 18:08, Chris <bsd-lists at BSDforge.com> wrote:

> On 2021-02-23 17:42, Mark Millard wrote:
>> (Warner is only CC'd here.)
>> Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com wrote on
>> Wed Feb 24 01:04:13 UTC 2021 :

>>> em. Please upgrade to a supported release.

>>> 12.1 has reached EOL now that 12.2 has been out a while.
>>> =46rom release/12.1.0/ :
>> "Tag releng/12.1@r354233 as release/12.1.0 (12.1-RELEASE)"
>> I think that implicit in Warner's response is that
>> versions of stable/12/ that are not after r354233 are
>> also EOL. One needs to have stable/12/ material from
>> after -r354233 in order for it to be supported.
>> He might even mean that stable/12/ material from before:
>> "Tag releng/12.2@r366954 as release/12.2.0 (12.2-RELEASE)"
>> would also be considered as not supported.
>> To be safe you should be using stable/12/ material from
>> on or after -r366954 in order to have a supported
>> context.
>> (I'm not sure if anything is explicit about the status
>> of stable/12/ material between releng/12.1@r354233
>> and releng/12.2@r366954 .)
> A HUGE thanks for all of this, Mark. This is EXACTLY what I needed.
>=20
> # uname -apKU
> FreeBSD fbsd12dev 12.1-STABLE FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE r363918 GENERIC  =
amd64 amd64 1201522 1201522
> which pretty well confirms what you deduced.
> I'm still a bit confused. It seems to me that it didn't _used_
> to be that way. But my brain isn't using ECC. So a couple of
> bits may be flipped.

The implication of all of stable/12/ being supported
would be support of stable/12/ from on or after its
creation:

QUOTE
Revision 339434 - Directory Listing=20
Modified Fri Oct 19 00:09:24 2018 UTC (2 years, 4 months ago) by gjb=20
Copied from: head revision 339432
Copy head@r339432
 to stable/12 as part of the 12.0-RELEASE cycle.

Additional post-branch commits will follow.
END QUOTE

Such does not seem likely to me. What would be the
point of dropping 12.0-RELEASE support and
12.1-RELEASE support if such stable/12/ history was
covered, some of that history being minor variations
on the 12.0-RELEASE or 12.1-RELEASE ?

Note:
Despite some claims in other messages, svn -r363918
is not 12.1-RELEASE ( not -r354233 ) and -r363918
is shown as (only) in stable/12/ by svn. Your
claim of 12-STABLE was correct, just not detailed
enough.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com