Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 13:09:40 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jdw@wwwi.com (Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse stands accused of saying:

> At 10:47 AM 10/16/96 +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
> >Does -stable matter to you?  Do you or your
> >business want to see -stable move forwards?  THEN DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
>
> It's really hard not to say something dreadfully sarcastic here.
> Especially after I specifically addressed this point in my previous
> messages.
>
> It's really nice that you have enough time to work on FreeBSD, but
> not all of us are so lucky.  The attitude that my (or anyone else's)
> opinion is unimportant because I'm "only" a user is counterproductive.

MHA for missing your addressing this point; however I feel that it
still stands.  The impetus for maintaining a "commercial grade"
release has to come from the community, and the people most likely to
be interested in this are those that need it.  I didn't mean the above
invective to be addressed specifically at you - that was poor
communication on my part.

As a user of a community-developed system, the obligation is more on
your shoulders than on those of the developers; they are not held at
ransom by the commercial model, so it is up to you and others in your
position to motivate those who do have the time, in whatever fasion
you can.

And are you really as strapped for time as you think?  Could you spend
an hour a week reading commit messages looking for important changes,
and trying them out?  If ten or fifteen users with your sort of
interest could spend that sort of time on the project, you could keep
someone like Nate quite busy doing the actual committing.  As a bonus,
because you were in a position where you were providing the changes,
you could prioritise the ones you provided to address your primary
concerns.  As a result, everyone would benefit.

> I wasn't suggesting that 2.1.5 should diverge at all, only that it
> may be time to start thinking about the possibly large portion of
> the FreeBSD userbase that isn't seeing any of the benefit of all the
> hard work you're doing.

Understood - this point is clearly apprehended by most people.
Unfortunately, so is the principal difficulty facing its resolution.