Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:27:57 +1100
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to boot FreeBSD14 without EFI?

> Just to confirm the FreeBSD-14.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img file does
> not boot unless UEFI is enabled on your Virtual Machine or physical
> hardware?
>
> Have you double checked the checksum of the image or images you are using?
>
> Assuming BIOS boot do you know if the device has previously booted
> using GPT or only MBR partition tables?
>
> — Robert

Thank-you Mathew its given me some hope . Seems that I need to be more
diligent and will reread the relnotes and updating notes from 12.4
through to 14.0R

Robert, I think you're right.  I installed the 14.0-RELEASE before I
noticed the efi check-box.  so yes I suspect a problem with my
14.0Releng build (though I used the same settings for make.conf,
src.conf as I use in 13.2 and 12.4).

However when using a FreeBSD(32bit) virtual machine using
FreeBSD-14.0-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso as the only attached device:

a) with efi checked - boots to an EFI interface (startup.nsh) and
exit(s) into another interface to "Standard English"... "Continue" loops
back to UEFI shell.  I lack the knowledge about efi to get the FreeBSD
OS to start.

b) without efi checked - "FATAL: Cound not read from the boot medium!
System halted".

FYI: My original problem: I built from source 14.0Releng and upgraded
the 14.0Release without success.  I've also used two other vdi's without
success.  The upgrade used the git pull from 14.0Releng on a 13.2S
system as I'm hoping to migrate my fleet of 12.4S systems to 14 and
figured that 13.2S was a safe build platform (as it also used clang
16.0.6). I suspect something that I'm doing is at fault.  Unfortunately
the 6 other 12.4S and one 13.2 VM's are functioning so I doubt its the
Windows/Virtualbox, which points to my build/install.  Investigating
further.

I appreciate your advice.

Kind regards, Dewayne.