Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 13:41:59 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

Mattias Pantzare wrote:

> > Of course, the ideal would be for the developers to stress-test the OS,
> > since they wrote it.  Apparently that doesn't happen for FreeBSD.  One of
> > the unfortunate consequences of open source, I suspect.
>
> You simply can't stresstest to the point that customers won't find
> problems anyway. That is why the closed source companies have
> betatesters and releases betas to the public.That is realy not an open
> vs closed source argument at all.

Yes, it's probably impossible to think that we could find all bugs before the
release happens, but I do think that al ot more could be done.

I said once a long time ago, that FreeBSD needs a group of volunteers willing to
do their share at finding bugs - this has to be an organized group of people,
not just a "go ahead and find bugs, no one is stopping you" sort of thing.
Finding bugs in hardware has the same problems, and all developers that have
jobs  that depend on the quality of  the product do "verification" on their
products.

Anyway, I still say everyone should realize that in order to make -STABLE as
reliable as it sounds, and -RELEASE more rock solid than it has ever been, we
need to have a group of people running their standard tests on it before
releases go out.

Eric