Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:37:26 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Off topic - shell skills

>Ok kids,

Why the condescension, pops?

>Re-read my post.  I did NOT say to use a CNAME as the MX.  I suggested that
>you create a CNAME record to point mail.CUSTOMER.com to point to
>mail.ISP.net.

There ya go, 99% of the people would screw that up, at one step or
other. I see it  everyday in the ISC BIND list, etc, etc. Technically
correct, but in practice it gets screwed up more often than not,
zones are in error (non authoritative so higher traffic due to no
caching) and sometimes mail isn't even delivered reliably.

With the $INCLUDE approach, there is still just one record in one
file to edit (just like your suggestion), but my approach avoids the
frequently confusing and always higher traffic-producing CNAME of
your approach.

 > Any more objections to my suggestion?

There are no objections to your suggestion, there is just my superior
suggestion.  :))

Len

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : Binary for ISC BIND 8.2.3 T9B for NT4 & W2K

http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways