Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 1999 22:30:20 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Keith <jtjang@gcn.net.tw>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RealPlayer G2 for Linux (6.0-0.99051701)

Keith:
 |On 07/04/99, Bernie Doehner wrote:
 |> I just tried installing it on my 3.2-R box, and I keep getting signal 11
 |> core dumps, pretty much at startup.
 |
 |It seems that G2 for Linux has to be installed & run with root privilege.

It's not setuid here, and it runs fine in a non-root account on 3.2-R.  I just:

  1) pulled the rpm package from real.com
  2) ran rpm2cpio on it
  3) extracted it in the /compat/linux tree using "cpio -ivmud"
  4) snagged libstdc++.so.2.8 from a Redhat 5.2 box
  5) ran /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig, and
  6) created a link from /compat/linux/usr/bin/realplay to
     /opt/bin/rvplayer_v6_0.linux

/opt/bin is in my $PATH, and I run rvplayer through the symlink created in #6.

Randall