Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:24:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: advice on machone choice for servers

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Josef Karthauser wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 1997 at 12:58:24AM +0500, David Empey wrote:
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I'm hoping to pick the brains of some more experienced freeBSD users.
> > I'd like to set up a mail server (approx. 250 messages per day at
> > present) and a web server (100 hits a day approx., rarely more than 2
> > at the same time) on an older 486/66 with 8MB RAM under freeBSD.  Is
> > this combination likely to fly?  Any advice welcome, with thanks.
> >

> I don't see why not.  A friend of mine is running X windows, a web server
> and Netscape 3 on his.  It chunters a bit, but does the trick.
>
> 250 messages/day is approx 10 per hour.  100 hits per day is approx 4
> per hour.  Easy life :)

So why not try and get an even older machine, you could probably get a
33MHz one for about half the price or less of a 66, and losing a bit of
performance (quite a lot actually!) might be worth it, well, you could
buy more memory for the slower machine or more disk, or a decent tape
drive.

If I was going to buy a bottom end machine, I'd be more concerned about
backup and memory rather than processor, especially for something which
is going to get no traffic.

Alternatively, you might end up with what happened here, we had a 486dx66 as
our internal web server. (with less traffic than you're asking your machine
to handle). Now, since it got set up nicely it got used lots, then more, then
more. etc. etc. (you get the idea?), hence it's now a dual processor p133.
Such is life =)

Perhaps it's worth worrying about expansion after all.

--
Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.