Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:22:18 +0200
From:      lupe@lupe-christoph.de (Lupe Christoph)
To:        Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Hans Zaunere <zaunere@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: asmtp 587 - quickie faq submission

On Tuesday, 2002-09-10 at 08:54:13 -0500, Greg Panula wrote:
> Hmm, this original email/question is a good example why a
> security-questions@freebsd.org mail-list might be a good thing.
> Anyways, to help balance this thread away from noise and towards
> signal... here is a quickie faq submission for this thread. :)

A few nitpicks, and one addition...

> Q: What is ASMTP?
> A: Authenicated SMTP, explained in RFC 2554
Authenticated

> Q: What is ASMTP good for?
> A: Allow the SMTP server to authenicate users before allowing them to
authenticate
> use the smtp service for sending mail.  Useful if you have roaming users
> that connect from foreign networks(e.g. hotel somewhere).

> Q: How do I or my users make use of ASMTP?
> A: The user's email client needs to be configured to authenicate
> themselves to the smtp server.  Earthlink has a FAQ section explaining
itself
> various email client configurations at
> http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/Help_FAQ/7280.psc.html

Q: How do I implement ASMTP on my mailserver
A: Depends on your MTA...

Q: OK, how do I implement ASMTP in sendmail?
A: (Dunfino, I haven't done this yet.)

Q: OK, how do I implement ASMTP in postfix?
A: Read this: http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/postfix-sasl.php

> Q: Why does Sendmail listen on Port 587?
> A: For compliance with RFC 2476 which states that seperating the
> different parts of mail handling(submissions&transfers) is a good thing
> and port 587 was deemed to be the port for handling submissions.
> Sendmail 8.10.0 introduced DaemonPortOptions to support this.  Checkout
> http://www.sendmail.org/~gshapiro/8.10.Training/DaemonPortOptions.html
> for some quick info about DaemonPortOptions.

> Q: How do I turn off the Message Submission Agent aka stop listening on
> port 587?
> A: Add FEATURE(`no_default_msa') your cf.m4 config file and recreate
> your sendmail.cf file.

> Someone might want to verify the information above; I haven't done any
> of it and stopped using&admin'ing sendmail a year or two ago. :)

While referring a Mandrake doc may not be welcome in a FreeBSD FAQ, this
is the same document http://www.postfix.org/docs.html refers to for
"Postfix + SASL".

HTH,
Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| Big Misunderstandings #6398: The Titanic was not supposed to be        |