Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 22:33:01 -0500
From:      "Thompson, Scott" <Scott_Thompson@quakeroats.com>
To:        'lists' <lists@vivdev.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Compaq Presario 486sx

i have an old deskpro 486 which works fine and a newer presario with a
pentium 166.  the bios on the presario will only boot from a disk with dos
on it.  that is how it determines which disk to boot from (and i thought
windoze was dumb).  you may need to install dos on a  small sacrificial
partition (wish i had the diskettes) or boot from a live file system cd,
interrupt the boot and change active kernels on the fly.  the second choice
is not an option if your box will not boot from cd, but if it does not, it
may be using an older bios.  i do  the kernel swap since i did not realize i
had this problem when i dedicated my whole drive to freebsd.  if you
encounter this problem, i can send you the specifics of the kernel swapping
procedure.  be sure you know the name of your root slice (you will need it).
since i will only need to boot my machine if the ups runs down, the awkward
boot is not a problem.  your mileage may vary.  also, if i were you, i would
throw an overdrive processor in there if possible so you have floating point
support and a little more horsepower.  my 486's are now all 66mhz overdrives
or better.  it helps.  also, i would want at least 16meg of memory in there,
though i have installed and run with 8 using 3.2 release.