Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm balance

:Speaking of vmiodirenable, what are the issues with it that it's not
:enabled by default?  ISTR that it's been in a while, and most people
:pointed at it have reported success with it, and it seems to have solved
:problems here and there for a number of people.  What's keeping it from
:the general case?
:
:--
:Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net

    I'll probably turn it on after the 4.3 release.  Insofar as Kirk and I
    can tell there are no (hah!) filesystem corruption bugs left in the
    filesystem or VM code.  I am guessing that what corruption still occurs
    occassionally is either due to something elsewhere in the kernel, or
    motherboard issues (e.g. like the VIA chipset IDE DMA corruption bug).

    I have just four words to say about IDE DMA:  It's a f**ked standard.

    Neither Kirk nor I have been able to reproduce reported problems at all,
    but with help from others we have fixed a number of bugs which seem to
    have had a positive effect on Yahoo's test machines.  At the moment
    one of Yahoo's 8 IDE test systems may crash once after a few hours, but
    then after reboot will never crash again.  This hopefully means that
    fsck is fixing corruption generated from earlier buggy kernels that is
    caught later on.  I've been exchanging email with three other people
    with corruption issues.  One turned out to be hardware (fsck after
    newfs was failing, so obviously not a filesystem issue!), another
    is indeterminant, the third was working fine until late February and
    then new kernels started to result in corruption (while old kernels still
    worked) and he is now trying to narrow down the date range where
    the problem was introduced.

    Either way it should be fairly obvious if turning on vmiodirenable makes
    it worse or not.  My guess is: not, and it's just my paranoia that is
    holding up turning on vmiodirenable.

						-Matt