Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 11:26:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ViM vs. Emacs

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> > > Some things like multiple-level undo/redo work differently.
> > > I like vim's way of doing that better. Depends what you're
> > > used to, I suppose. But on vim, you can recover your unmodified
> > > document by pressing u again and again: on nvi I think the ability
> > > to recover past changes is more limited.
> >
> > :e!
>
> Suppose you want to go back only part of the way? You did some
> complicated stuff which you want to keep, then you did some other
> complicated stuff which you want to undo. With vim you just need to
> keep pressing "u" till you're satisfied. With nvi you may not be able
> to do it.

Then you use nvi's multiple undo feature, of course.  u, followed by however
many '.'s as you'd like.  How do you undo an undo in vim?

> > u should toggle changes.  If you want multiple level undo, do it right, not
> > by overloading basic functionality.
>
> It's not clear to me what "right" is. In most programs (gimp, typical
> word processors, etc) undo keeps undoing previous changes, redo keeps
> redoing them.  That certainly seems much more sensible to me.  And if
> you like old-fashioned vi behaviour, :set compatible, as someone else
> pointed out.

I reached the conclusion that vim is not a vi clone. It's a modal editor
that happens to work something something like vi.  Lots of the defaults are
wrong, it's big, and it's slow.  vi is neither big nor slow.

David