Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:29:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marvin McNett <mmcnett@ucsd.edu>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware serial connection

Could anyone tell me whether or not serial ports work in vmware for
FreeBSD?  If so, is it possible to establish a serial connection between
the host and guest operating systems?  In particular, what devices should
I be using on the respective machines and in the vmware configuration
editor?  I'd like to try using remote gdb between the host and guest
machines, but can't seem to get a serial connection established.

I've tried using /dev/cuaa0 as the device in the configuration editor, but
it didn't seem to work.  On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm properly
testing to see that the serial connection has been established (I tried
minicom to no avail).  Perhaps someone could tell me how to do that as
well.  Is it possible to simply cat a file to the device on one end and
read it on the other?  If so, how?

Sorry if this is the wrong list to be submitting such a question, but I
didn't get a response from the questions list.  Perhaps someone here knows
more about this.

Thanks,
Marvin