Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 03:41:26 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in -current

>>   We haven't made any decisions yet on which stack to go with. The KAME
>>implementation is compelling because of the dedication (to FreeBSD) of the
>>people working on it. INRIA is interesting because of rumors that it is
>>somehow "better" than KAME. The point Garrett is trying to make is that
>>once we decide on one, that leaves the other(s) out in the cold, which is
>>not a good thing.
>
>	NOTE: this is independent from the merging issues.
>
>	Could I hear about the technical reasons for the above "rumor"?

   It's just a rumor - I've heard no technical arguments to back it up. For
all that I know, KAME might very well be far superior to INRIA in every
respect.

>	If it is packaging issues, I would like to state the following for
>	KAME 2.2.7 kit:
>	- we intentionally NOT overwriting existing tools,
>	  like /usr/bin/ftp.  This surprises people too much, especially
>	  in multiuser installations.
>	- we are trying NOT to require "make World" for installation.
>	  therefore, we do not use /usr/src tree for this.
>	It can be changed for KAME 3.0, of course.

   I actually would like to see a more thorough integration with the standard
tools being able to deal with both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously. It probably
makes sense to hold off on doing that work until KAME becomes a standard part
of the system, however - doing so now would make it a lot more difficult to
track FreeBSD-current.

-DG

David Greenman