Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 1995 12:43:02 +0400 (????)
From:      Dmitry Khrustalev <dima@bog.msu.su>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

On Sun, 20 Aug 1995, David Greenman wrote:

> >>    If there is interest, I'll implement an NFS_ASYNC kernel option for both
> >> FreeBSD 2.1 and 2.2.
> >
> >Kernel option or per filesystem option? Switching it on for all
> >filesystems at once is evil. And if nfs3 data corruption problems are
> >resolved, this option will not have any real value.
>
>    Initially I was planning on just a kernel option that would enable it
> for all NFS exports. I could make it per-export by adding an option to
> /etc/exports, modifying mountd to grok it, passing it to the kernel, etc,
> but this is starting to become a real project.

This is how SGI does it: they have wsync option in /etc/exports. Of
course having it off by default is *bad*.

>    Regarding NFSv3: v3 is only an option if you have clients that support it.
> This is actually quite rare and would limit it's use to modern FreeBSD boxes.

It will be quite common when Sun ships SunOS 5.5, and it is supposed to
ship this year. Dec and Sgi already support it.

> ...and of course, FreeBSD 2.1 doesn't have v3 and I don't intend to add it
> before the release.

Speaking of different nfs versions in 2.1 and 2.2: is it possible to add
kernel interface version identifier? It will be much better if userspace
programs fail gracefully on version mismatch instead of current behavior.

-Dima