Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2013 15:20:57 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LLVM Image Activator

--htVlOAOs/VIaEhiC

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 12:41:09PM +0100, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hi Kostik,
>=20
> 2013/1/7 Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>:
> > I still do remember the buzz about the binary format 0xCAFEBABE, which
> > AFAIR gained image activator support on several OSes, to be garbage
> > collected.
>=20
> Maybe it would then be a good idea then to add some kind of general
> purpose remapping imgact? Example:
>=20
> /etc/imgacttab:
>=20
> cafebabe /usr/local/bin/java
> cffaedfe /usr/local/bin/osx_emulator
> 4243c0de /usr/bin/lli
>=20
> That way we still give people the freedom to play around with mapping
> their own executable formats, but don't need to maintain a bunch of
> imgacts.

A generic module that could be somewhat customized at runtime to map
offset+signature into the shebang path could be a possibility indeed.
I strongly prefer to have it as module and not enabled by default.

Asking Nathan for writing the thing is too much, IMHO, esp. in
the response to the 50-lines hack.

--htVlOAOs/VIaEhiC

--htVlOAOs/VIaEhiC--