Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:02:09 -0600
From:      Art Mason <amason@rackspace.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: correct way to cvsup ports for -stable

In addition, after running portsdb -Uu (after you've cvsup'ed), running:

portversion -l "<"

will provide you with a list of outdated installed ports/packages.  You
can then upgrade each package individually:

portupgrade mplayer

or upgrade all installed and out-of-date ports/packages:

portupgrade -ar

You might also want to read over ONLamp's take on this issue:

Ports Tricks
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/07/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Cleaning Up Ports
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/29/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

Hope this helps, I can't guarantee that this is the absolute "right
way", but it's worked for me without fail up to this point.  If,
however, there are any glaring errors in my procedures, please correct
them.

Kindest regards.

--
Art Mason